If you happen to find yourself in a position where you’re being pulled over by a police officer for allegedly driving under the influence (DUI), you make to asked to go through with a field sobriety test. Many questions can arise in these kinds of situations, and the best thing to do right now is to think carefully about how you act. When you’re placed under arrest and taken to jail to get processed, you need to get in touch with a brampton criminal lawyer.
Driving under the influence is something that most people end up doing and isn’t based on with an intention or without one. If you’re planning on doing so or have been doing it for quite some time, then here’s a list of things you need to be about driving under the influence of medical marijuana.
- When it comes to certain state laws concerning driving and marijuana usage, the laws are explicit that having any amount of the drug in your system while driving or operating a vehicle is considered illegal. Having had any amount of marijuana in their system requires one to give physical control of a vehicle altogether. Failing to do this can lead to criminal prosecution and other charges. However, these laws are not applicable to people who have been granted permission for the legal consumption of marijuana if they are enrolled with their state’s medical marijuana program.
- As a result, they receive a medical marijuana card which permits them to use the drug within specified amounts and regions freely. Due to this, citizens under the use of medical marijuana are permitted to drive in some states whereas some states forbid them. Getting arrested will ultimately lead you to fight you’re case with the help of a Toronto criminal lawyer so that you’re set free or receive a lighter sentence.
- The law also clearly states that when an individual consuming medical marijuana get impaired by it, they are to give up driving to another person until the effects wear off. Since it is legal to drive after having just used medical marijuana, it recommendable that you either hire a designated driver or use public transportation.
- For those citizens that have been able to acquire a medical marijuana test, they’ve opened themselves up to automatic authorization to a field sobriety test. Admitting that you’re on the drug will open you up to getting tested for having operated a vehicle while under the influence. You as the driver have no right to refuse this test on any reasonable grounds and doing so can lead to your licenses getting suspended or revoked.
- The common DUI laws come into when and if an officer suspects the use of medical marijuana the cause of impaired driving. The important thing you need to know right now is that while medical marijuana is legal, driving under the influence within an impaired state isn’t. So expect the arresting officer to testify against in court, and you need to prepare with the help of defense lawyer.
Remember, if you’re under the influence of a medical marijuana driving should be something you should pursue. Get someone else to do it, and if you’re caught, you’re going to need ties with a criminal law firm to fight your case. If you’re on the lookout for a criminal law firm in Brampton you can find with aid of Google Maps, Web Local and Business Worldweb.