What Can You Do If You Do Not Like The Outcome Of Your Trial?


You have very few options.  Challenging your final judgment is not as easy as saying you are unhappy with the ruling or that the judge was unfair to you—and the methods of challenging are limited. In some instances, though, you may be able to seek relief from the court in one of the following ways:

  • Motion for reconsideration
  • Motion for relief from judgment
  • Motion for rehearing
  • An appeal of the final judgment

Each method has specific deadlines on when you must act and requirements that you must meet when you file the challenge. You should consult your attorney as early as possible if you wish to challenge the court order. If you fail to act during the time period proscribed under the rules you may lose your ability to seek these forms of relief. You should also weigh the risks and benefits of pursuing further action. Some of the risks you may face are that any challenge to the order or final judgment may delay the permanency of your case, and there can be significant cost involved in filing a challenge. You will likely incur additional attorneys’ fees, and in the end, if you are unsuccessful, you may achieve the same result as you did at your trial or hearing. However, if you are successful in your challenge, you may get a more favorable order or judgment entered in your case.

Given the complexity, time limitations and requirements that these motions or an appeal entail, it is extremely important to hire an attorney with experience to handle your case. The attorneys at Nicole L. Goetz, P.L. have experience with these issues and can assist you and or your trial attorney throughout the entire process, from the decision to file a motion for rehearing through the resolution of an appeal, if necessary. To schedule a confidential consultation and receive more information about your options, please contact our office in Naples, Florida.

You can find us at Google, Yellow Pages and iBeginThe information provided on law and legal topics is designed for general information only and does not constitute nor should it be considered legal advice. It is not a substitute, nor should it be considered a substitute, for legal advice from a qualified attorney who is knowledgeable about your specific factual situation.