Salem is a beautiful town on the outskirts of Portland. It offers that small-town feel with amazing scenery, a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis. While enjoying life in this wonderful location, you are bound to drive into town either for work or pleasure. On the road, accidents do happen. If you’re ever in an accident, you will need the services of a reputable Salem car accident attorney as soon as possible to help you file your claim.
The Nature of Car Accidents
Without a doubt, you know of someone who has been in a car accident. Some of us may have been in one. Either way, it is a traumatizing experience that no one needs to go through. But with so many mishaps on our roads, there is always the chance that things will go wrong. We share roads with reckless drivers, and over speeding is a common problem, not to mention the role played by changing weather conditions. Brace yourselves; winter is coming with all that slippery road surfaces entail.
The initial shock that comes with the impact, the pain, and the disorientation immediately afterward can worsen an already deadly situation. All your training, preparedness, and precaution are unlikely to kick in immediately. The steps you take at this point have a great impact on how the law and your insurance cover provider will handle your case. Let us look at what you need to know.
What to Do Immediately After a Car Accident:
- Check yourself for injuries. If you can move, you need to assess the damage to your body. You then need to call 911. If you cannot move, you should remain still to prevent further injury. Hopefully, there will be other people on-site to call emergency medical services.
- Check to see how others involved in the accident are doing. If you’re able, try and help those who are incapacitated. Take some time and learn basic first aid procedures and protocols to help you perform this safely.
- Move to safety. If you can, get away from the wreckage and help others do the same, ensuring that you do not worsen any injuries in the process. Damage to the vehicle could potentially result in it catching flames.
- Check to see if emergency services are on the way.
- Warn other road users of the presence of an accident scene. You need to turn off your engine, turn on hazard lights if possible, and set up road flares to warn approaching vehicles of the position of the car or cars involved in the accident.
- You should exchange contact details and other critical information with the other parties in the accident. You can take photos, shoot videos and even get eyewitness statements. This will come in handy later on for insurance and legal purposes.
Car accidents vary; in some instances, the person or circumstance at fault is easy to identify. Others are not as simple. There is also the human element, where not everyone is ready or willing to accept blame in an accident. Insurance companies normally advise their clients not to assume responsibility for any accident until they have investigated the accident. Whatever the case, it is clear you need the right legal representation to get a fair outcome.
What Can a Salem Car Accident Attorney Do for You?
Traffic rules and regulations governing road use are not as easy to understand and apply in car accident cases as you may initially assume. Many victims have received unfair rulings because they did not have suitable legal representation. Remember, not being at fault does not guarantee a fair outcome, especially when the other party gets the best legal representation. You cannot let such unfairness stand.
If you are the accident victim, you should be fully compensated for your injuries, damage to your vehicle, and the emotional distress suffered. A car accident attorney is the best person to help you understand the value of your claim, what you should ask for, and how to go about the process. Imagine being in recovery and getting a settlement figure from the other party’s insurance company. While it may seem satisfactory, chances are you are getting a raw deal. Your claim usually is worth so much more. Let the right professional help you through that process.
What if You are Partly Responsible?
If, on the other hand, you are fully or partially to blame for the accident, you need to ensure none of your rights get violated. You deserve a fair outcome either way. Most opposing parties in such cases tend to go for the maximum they can extract out of those at fault. You need to understand the extent of your responsibility, what is legally acceptable as punishment, and also have a chance to lessen its impact on you as much as possible.
Remember that the insurance company does not have your interests at heart, and they will try as much as possible to lessen your compensation. Do your research and find an excellent Salem car accident attorney who will ensure that you do not suffer unnecessarily.